San Francisco, CA Mayor London N. Breed has announced a comprehensive plan to reinvigorate Downtown and reposition San Francisco as the Bay Area’s economic hub and a global anchor for commerce.
The Roadmap to Downtown San Francisco’s Future includes nine strategies to respond to emerging economic trends and capitalize on the City’s strengths. The strategies and their supporting initiatives and additional programs include:
- Ensure that Downtown is clean, safe, and inviting – by providing an enhanced public safety presence; continuing the Healthy Streets coordinated response programs; implementing street vending regulations; increasing parking garage security; supporting the 311 Connected Worker App; expanding targeted cleaning crews; and refurbishing transit platforms and shelters.
- Attract and retain a diverse range of industries and employers – by ongoing tax relief and incentives; exploring business tax reform; providing greater tax measure transparency; completing a Competitive Industries Assessment; launch a business attraction campaign; continuing to attract convention and business travel with the Moscone Recovery Fund; and increasing filming in Downtown.
- Facilitate new uses and flexibility in buildings – by amending the Planning Code to ensure flexible zoning; preparing a housing conversion analysis; and developing a recovery entitlement program.
- Make it easier to start and grow a business – by providing direct business recovery assistance; expanding the First Year Free program; right-sizing local employer healthcare contributions; supporting the new Vacant to Vibrant program; providing smoother business permitting; supporting businesses at the Permit Center; and streamlining business inspections.
- Grow and prepare our workforce – by implementing the Mayor’s Housing for All plan to deliver housing for the workforce; providing industry-informed training programs; and expanding outreach to grow the workforce.
- Transform Downtown into a leading arts, culture, and nightlife destination – by designating an Arts, Culture and Entertainment (ACE) Zone; supporting public space events; permitting improvements for community events; allowing outdoor alcohol consumption in Entertainment Zones; andleveraging the Moscone Visitor Center.
- Enhance public spaces to showcase Downtown – by completing the transition of Shared Spaces; adding new design elements in public spaces; creating new points of interest; and reimagining transit stations.
- Invest in transportation connections – by improving Muni connections; providing faster trips to Downtown; bringing high-speed rail to the Salesforce Transit Center; ensuring long-term financial stability for Muni; providing a more connected and protected Downtown bike network; strategically deploying traffic control officers; and launching additional fare pass programs.
- Tell our story – by promoting a national visitor attraction campaign; launching the Heart of SF social media campaign; and developing a San Francisco recovery campaign.